Ensuring California educators are well-equipped to effectively teach smart money management strategies, is the priority of our Financial Foundation for Educators workshops. FFEs are a comprehensive training, providing teachers with the knowledge, know-how and confidence, to better manage their own finances. Since its beginning in 2018, the program has empowered hundreds of teachers around the state to better manage their own money, also preparing them to teach students about the importance of making informed money decisions.
To optimize the financial capacity of our educators and their students, California Jump$tart has grant funding to provide the FFE program at no cost. These interactive workshops, taught by financial experts, are meant for practicing K-12 teachers, as well as those beginning their teaching careers. We collaborate with target hosts; schools, districts, county offices of education and CSU teacher education programs, to provide Financial Foundations for Educators.
Our workshop topics include:
- Understand current trends and their impact on personal finance.
- Learn what drives consumer spending and saving choices.
Spending and Planning
- Learn budgeting techniques and tools.
- Create SMART financial goals.
Saving and Investing
- Learn the concepts of Paying Yourself First/Time Value of Money.
- Understand the risks and rewards of different investment options.
Credit, Debt and Home Ownership
- Explore strategies to manage the use of credit and reduce debt.
- Clarify the elements that impact a person’s credit and FICO scores.
Risk Management and Identity Fraud
- Clarify insurance options by types of coverage.
- Explore how to avoid, accept or share the risk of financial loss.
CalSTRS Pension and Retirement
- CalSTRS representatives discuss CalSTRS pension benefits and services.
- Understand additional tax advantage retirement savings options.
Financial Foundations for Educators is available live or virtually.
Our host institutions recruit participants for the workshops; for live presentations, supply the space for the FFE. CAJ$ provides participating attendees with cash stipends, refreshments, raffles and an introduction to CAJ$’s searchable Teacher Resources page at: cajumpstart.org.
We welcome hosts that can provide attendees with continuing education or professional development credit.